Thursday, July 4, 2013

Without A Struggle, There Can Be No Progress - Federick Douglass

4th of July! Happy Independence Day to the USA!

Anyway, after a number of days, I finally gotten my student VISA approved by the Australian High Commission.

Here are a few things I realized after going through all these processes to go to Australia. Firstly, Plane Ticket Prices vary where there is no one airline that will be the cheapest. So, you have to do your research online and find out which airline is cheapest and grab those! (Or use a travel agency like I did, where they compare prices for you)

Also, take note of check-in timings of the lodgings you are staying in. UniLodge only allows check-ins from 12noon to 3pm while others such as Urbanest have more flexible timings. I heard from my friend that he checked into Urbanest at 3am the first time he entered Brisbane. Do plan your flight timings to coincide with your check-in timings or you may have to crash a night at the airport.

One issue that I am unclear of is the condition of Brisbane’s tap water. Is it potable or not? Well, there is one way to find out!

Things you can do prior to leaving for Australia also include; setting up a bank account so that you only need to confirm it over there. Purchasing and recharging a phone number so you can seamlessly switch over to an Australian number. This has the added benefit of allowing you to chance to notify your friends in your home country your number before you leave.

While many things are cheaper in Singapore, I realize that I have no choice but to purchase certain things over in Australia. This is especially so with bulky objects. (Pillows, Cookery etc.) On the bright side, I found out that there is a Daiso (Japanese $2 shop) located in the city where toiletries and other basic items can be picked up! On that note, I realize I should find out where all the bargain shops can be found! Compared to Singapore and her NTUC-dominated market, I believe small shops overseas may contain hidden gems, usually at discounted prices.

Well, with my VISA and plane tickets confirmed, my schedule just became a whole lot tighter.


-ARP

No comments:

Post a Comment