Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pitching Tents and Digging Latrines

Alright! With my deposit sent across, UniLodge has confirmed my booking of one of their bedrooms in the St. Lucia premise. While it is rather pricey (AUD$350 a week), I believe that it is worth it, seeing as I will not be able to scout out the place beforehand and it is a reputable, large group.

Speaking of choosing places to stay, Queensland basically offers 4 types of housing: On-campus, Off-Campus, Suburban and hotels.

While the off-campus and suburban lodgings tend to be much cheaper, there have been cases where students book rooms online and reach Australia only to find that the place does not exist at all. Such scams do exist! My plan shall thus be this, settle in with Unilodge and after getting to know a few mates, see about moving out and renting an apartment or house at a better rate. After all, only by viewing the place with your ever-reliable Mark 1 Eyeball can you judge for yourself whether the place is decent or not.

I have not seen my Unilodge accommodations for myself, but being curious about it, I have dug out some images of how the rooms are like from the Internet. (Google is your best friend)

View from the Apartment


Entrance to UniLodge St. Lucia
Hopefully, My room.
Kitchen,
 Note that apartments do not automatically come with
 beautiful or considerate roommates.
Find those yourself.


Photos are taken from Unilodge's Facebook album, "Unilodge Properties in Brisbane". 
They do not belong to me in any form. (and I hope they do not mind me using them here) 

The place seems awesome indeed. Of course I have a feeling that the room I will be given will not be as refined and polished as those in the pictures. Things like linen will not be provided, which just means I can place my Hello Kitty own bed sheets. Other things not provided are Cutlery (Hands will do), Crockery and Cooking Utensils. (Mess Tin and whittled tree branch as a skewer)

A place to live in is important, after experiencing living out in the field; the idea of returning to a place where I can just chill out and do my own things is really great. Not just that, a decent room also means a good place to do my work, be it updating this blog or studying.

As I think about it, I feel that the first step to independence is getting your own space. How you manage it will reflect on your own thoughts and how independent you are. After all, your own room also means you will not have others coming in to help you tidy up your messes.

-ARP

No comments:

Post a Comment